Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Bless the Lord, O My Soul!


Bless the Lord, O My Soul!

“Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and do not forget all his benefits—who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases…”
(Psalm 103:1-3, NRSV)

The assurance and comfort we receive from a daily habit of reading the Psalms reaches beyond our imagination.  The scriptures feed our souls like no other literature can do.  We may gain insight and knowledge from various other texts and sources, but nothing replaces the nourishment we receive when reading God’s Word. 

The emphasis in the quoted Psalm is our recognition of a God who is our personal Savior and Healer.  He saves us from our sins, from all past, present, and future sins.  He also brings about healing to our souls as we accept his forgiveness and pardon.  While our outward person may face pain and suffering, his saving and healing presence renews our inward person. Once I begin to see and believe this, I will expend any and all of my resources to praise/bless his holy name.  I will live a life of honor to him while not forgetting what he has done for me.  This changes our outlooks and perspectives on daily life.  We will never be the same if we begin to see our lives through this lens, the lens of a saving and healing Father. 

“In him is only good, in me is only ill.
My ill but draws his goodness forth,
and me he loveth still.”
(Charles Spurgeon)

Trent

1 comment:

  1. I love reading the psalms! They remind me that perfection before God is not the goal, and that He is present, with me, no matter what's happening or how I feel. His love and grace are not dependent on me, they are absolute! I've also made it a practice to read Proverbs daily (or close to that)....with 31 chapters I can just read the chapter with today's date. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome here....