Thursday, October 10, 2013

On Being Still...

When I hear the phrase, 'be still', a lot of different thoughts go through my mind.  They range from the impossible to the possible.  "Thats is just impossible to do in todays world."  I hear that response a lot in my mind and from others around me when it is discussed.  "It is very easy for me to sit in silence and be still before God." That is another response I hear a lot as well.  Just what are we to do with this concept?  God obviously wants us to practice it in our lives. (Psalm 46:10)  The concept or practice of being still is one of the greatest mysteries in spirituality.  Many of us are scared of it while others embrace it to the point of making it a way of life.  What are we to do with it? Where do we begin?

Some of my personal experiences with 'being still' have been both scary and refreshing to the soul.  When we learn to practice stillness, we begin to see and learn more about God and ourselves.  That can be truly unsettling for many of us.  I want to share just a few things that have helped me overcome the fear of stillness.  I began many years ago (2007) with my prayers. Sometimes it was at night or early in the morning.  I would begin by emptying out my prayers, I made a vow to pray differently.  I stopped talking 'to' God and began listening.  It was unsettling at first, but it got better with time.  I wrestled with the wildness of my mind and heart, but over time, God began to take over. The voices and videos of my mind began to settle.  It took several months just to get the 'chatter' to settle. Once this happened, I learned how to 'be still'.
Take a few moments this week and begin by praying differently. Empty out your prayers and see what happens. Fear not, he still hears the requests and groanings from daily life. (Romans 8:26-27) Begin small and God will do the rest and show us how to 'be still.'

Be still......Trent

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcome here....