Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Wednesdays from the Well...


The sun was slowly setting behind the hills of green carpet. 
The expanse of the room spoke in the tone of heavy silence. 
Uncomfortable began to settle in as the minutes became hours. 
Thoughts were on the run through the forest of the mind as if the silence was in pursuit.
The setting sun vanishes beneath the heavy darkness of the coming night.
Night makes its entrance through the stained class.
The pursuit is over as thoughts begin to surrender to the stillness of space.
The doors begin to open after a lengthy confinement in time.
Doors...not all doors are a welcome entry, beware the open door.
Heavy...the Presence is more than expected, beware the request for the Presence.
Presence...when encountered in silence of space and thoughts, beware! 
Silence...healing, unknown, strengthening, terrifying, liberating. 
You...it awaits at your door, soon it will open...and it will be experienced...



The Abbey Church 
The practice of silence and solitude has been a beneficial one for me on my journey. The piece above is written based on some time I spent in a monastery in Kentucky in the summer of 2014. The moment took place during some hours I spent in the darkness of the Abbey Church. The Abbey of Gethsemani in central Kentucky in a beautiful place to go and be alone with God. I was there for four days in silence and solitude. While we can be alone with God anywhere we go, the Abbey was a great place to experience silence and solitude. I would encourage you to develop the practice of silence and solitude in your life. As I shared, it can be a frightful experience and a liberating one, in the same moment. Begin small and grow as you become more comfortable with it. The practice of silence and solitude has changed my life tremendously. It has helped me wrestle with my attitude, depression, rebellion, insecurities, pride, arrogance, death, childhood/adulthood disability, and identity issues as well. I am human and so are you, we all need to process the things we experience in daily life. Silence and solitude has helped me overcome and deal with a lot of the things I mentioned. Take some time today and consider where this practice can be of benefit to you and your journey with God and others. 

Stay the course...Trent



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcome here....