Friday, September 25, 2015

Sabbath Rest and Sabbath Thinking...


What a week full of adventure and community! There have been a lot of experiences this week and God was involved in all of them as always. God is involved in our lives at every moment, we just have to open our eyes and look for his presence. When we begin to see God working in our daily life, we will have a different outlook on life as a whole. Today I want to share something with you that has to do with our thinking.

The way that we think determines our outlook and attitude about life. How do I change the way that I think about life in general? I want to introduce you to a way of thinking that has helped me over the course of my journey. Have you ever heard of the term 'Sabbath thinking'? What comes to your mind when you hear that term? Here's what I have learned about it and what it does to my way of life. Sabbath thinking happens when you combine Sabbath moments with your daily mindset. How do I begin to think this way? When we are taking the time to be with God in silence, solitude, stillness in our daily life, we will learn to think in the way of Sabbath thinking. Your time may be five-ten minutes or it may be an hour, do what works for you on your journey. This is not a walk in the park, it takes time and is a learning process. 

Sabbath thinking keeps me from longing for false hope. It helps me refrain from the 'temporary' relief of longing for the weekend, vacation, or even that particular day off. Sure, these things are for us to enjoy in life, but there is more to life than these temporary events. They come to an end and we often crash and burn when they do. When our thinking is changed into a Sabbath flow, we learn to appreciate our evenings, our lunch breaks, small moments of conversation with others, and we look at the small things with greater appreciation. I want to make this clear, I love weekends, vacations, days off, etc, but they are not my life. My life is with God and others everyday, day in and day out! Give this a try, learn to see the Sabbath flow in the day to day small moments and you will eventually find yourself in a Sabbath thinking way of life. Begin small and watch your life change dramatically. 

Stay with it....Trent


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcome here....